Sunday, November 4, 2012

My Campaign Speech

 

Hi there. My name is Jenn. That's what my friends call me so that's how I want you to know me. I'm just Jenn.

I am who I am. Plain. Simple. Down to earth. I'm not perfect. I may not be polished or tactful at times. I may not have the fineese I need to be President. But I believe in why I am here. I'm not looking for the popularity vote. I'm looking to get a job done; to do some things for this country; to diminish the negative and increase the positive. I don't use writers or publicists. Like me or don't.  

I'm not a lawyer nor did I even feign any interest in that direction. I honestly don't know what I can accomplish - four years doesn't seem like a long time.

I have a past. We all do. Most of mine I'm proud of. Some of it - not so much. But it made me who I am today. If you want to see the skeletons in my closet, go ahead and open the door. I'll be here to answer questions when they come up.

I do know I want to focus on two or three things: education, taking care of our own and maybe decentralizing. That seems like it will be the least popular though.

Let me address education first. It is my top priority. Why? Because our children are our future. They are the ones who will be in charge when we can't be. I don't know how to do this, but I know we all have to work together. People don't become teachers for the money and I'm not promising them more pay. Money can't make them care any more than they do.

To me, education largely comes back to parenting. Browbeating can't make parents care though. There needs to be ownership on all sides - including the kids. I want to get rid of or limit standardized testing. My kid isn't "standard" - is yours? How can we expect to help those on the far ends of the spectrum when we give them tests they don't need? How can we identify thos who need more if we treat them like everyone else? 

And no more consolation prizes so they feel good about themselves. They'll feel better about what they have earned because they put their heart and soul into "it". I like the "no child left behind" concept but also believe in "no pass, no play". I want them to hold their heads high and be proud of what they accomplished - not what they were given. When I was little, we had a cat who had a litter of kittens. When it came time to find homes for them, Mom advertised them for $1.98 because people appreciate what they have to work for. What do YOU love most - what you worked for - what you put your blood, sweat and tears in - or what you were given?

I tend to get a little fired up about education. I'll move on to an old fashioned idea - taking care of our own. Let me simplify it. If you are ill with say the flu, you can't do much but lay in bed or hang over a bowl. You don't WANT to do much. You can hardly feed the mouths telling you their hungry, much less yourself. If you can't take care of you, you can't take care of others. Not fully. Not like they are accustomed to or deserve. That's how I see this country. We have children starving. We don't have enough jobs to go around. Our sick can't get the care they need. Yet we are all over the globe trying to fix everyone else's messy house?!? All the while our house falls more and more into disrepair.

I'll briefly talk about decentralizing. I probably don't have enough knowledge to speak intelligently, but I will learn all I need. When you try to control a commodity, it creates a black market. Sure, you're keeping the honest honest, but they aren't the ones to worry about. Gun control. Abortion. Alcohol and drugs. Government control didn't work in the 1920's with Prohibition. Yes, we need laws and guidelines, but not strict all-out control. Maybe if we had less control and gave more options, we'd be better off. 

 If what you have heard here today doesn't sit well with you, don't vote for me. If you have no confidence in my, don't vote for me. I am strong and smart and resourceful. I care about us. I am a fighter for right and good. If you believe these qualities can help us for the greater good, then vote for me. I'm just Jenn.



No comments:

Post a Comment