Thursday, December 13, 2012

Hidden In Plain Sight


I recently came across a site called www.humorsoffice.com. I admit I haven't looked at it too close mainly because one particular post got my attention. Now that I've posted this, maybe I can move on. 

The post is about advertising. It illustrates and explains 10 popular logos that have hidden messages. Some are fairly obvious and some I had seen or noticed before. 

Instead of "reading" to you what you can "read" for yourself, I'll give you my top four favorites. I did however copy most of the text from humorsoffice.com's explanations.

goodwill hidden message logo

First, Goodwill...

Notice the shape of the face and then look at the shape of the ‘g’ in “goodwill”.  Can you see that smiling face is represented twice? Pretty cool.


hope for african children hidden message logo
The Hope for African Children Initiative is a pan-African effort created to help children who have been orphaned by AIDS or who have parents who are sick or dying from AIDS related illnesses. Their logo shows at first glance the African continent in the negative space, but what makes the shape of it? The outline of an adult and child, who the Initiative is trying to help bring together.

toblerone hidden message logo

The logo for Toblerone pays homage to it’s history in two ways. The first is the image of Matterhorn mountain, part of the Swiss Alps. The second is the hidden bear in the mountain, which honors the fact that the sweets were founded in Bern (Bear), Switzerland. If you've had or at least seen this in the store, you'll also remember the box is a triangle - like the mountain. 

museum of london hidden message logo 

This one is my favorite, though I have not ever seen the logo before finding humorsoffice's site. 

The Museum of London is, well, a museum in London. One that shares the history of the city. Though the background colors in their logo look random, they actually represent the geographic area of London and how it has changed over time. Even in the logo, the museum is holding true to it’s mission. I like how some of us refer to England as being "across the pond" and the logo kind of resembles a pond. Use your imagination. Work with me here.


No comments:

Post a Comment