Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Where I Like To Dine



Today I want to share with you my favorite places to eat.There's no particular order. I was only going to do five but then I remembered more. I gave you links to the restaurants where I could.


 Baja Burrito
 The first on my list is Baja Burrito. It's kinda like a Subway, but California style Tex Mex. Sort of. Have you been to a Blue Coast Burrito or a Qdoba? They're similar but not as good. Baja is on Thompson Lane in Nashville with a sand-filled VW bug out by the street. Parking is a hassle, but worth it. My friend Laurie turned me on to it almost 10 years ago. I travel 45 minutes just to eat here. That's how good it is. If you go, at least try the fruit tea. Please.


Firehouse SubsNext on this list is Firehouse Subs. If you're a Subway or Blimpie or even a Jersey Mike's fan, I dare you to compare them to Firehouse. I'll never eat Subway again. I don't know what it is or how they do it but wow. My daughter likes them because they also have one of those cool mixing soda machines. I go for the tea. 

Chicago Style GyrosSometimes after picking up my daughter from her dad's, we'll go to the gyro place. I used to get the chicken-rice-bread plate. Then I tried their gyro. I hadn't had one since high school. I was scared to because I was afraid it wouldn't be as good as I remembered. This place nailed it. The Kurds that run it are starting to recognize us. The little guy that usually takes my order even raised his dark eyebrows when I ordered something different. The Ranch, lettuce, tomato and lamb all work together perfectly. They're on Gallatin Pike in Nashville if you want to try them. 


Then there's the American icon. Ok. At least in the South. Waffle House. I hear there are only Huddle Houses in the north. I always get 2 eggs scrambled with cheese, order of bacon - medium and an order of raisin toast - medium. I wash it down with a Coke. Not a Pepsi. I could eat here once a week and not get tired of it.



The Crab Trap is a throwback from my childhood. I had the opportunity to eat there again in August. New memories mixed with old. Very nice. I remembered the lighting - bare bulbs in - what else but - crap traps. The atmosphere was warm and intimate and cozy. I think this is where I fell in love with crab cakes. If it isn't, it should have been. Fabulous. She holds a special place in my heart.
And then there's the Atlanta icon - The Varsity. I don't care who you are, if you haven't been there, please go. Across from Georgia Tech, she towers over the interstate with her big red V announcing her presence. Back in the day, it used to be a drive in (think Sonic) with skating waiters, usually black. I remember some of them being very old. Flossie Mae was a favorite carhop. He SANG the entire menu, made his own crazy hats and had a warm, charismatic smile for everyone. He worked there for 56 years. He died four years after his retirement. When my grandparents dated, they went to the Varsity. I’m sure Mom and the boys did too. I know I did. People come from all over the country for chili dogs that turn the bun orange and fries so greasy they make the paper tray almost clear. The FO or frosted orange – a frozen orange cream thing – that people rave about. Not my favorite, but you need to try it regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment