Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Book Review: If I Found A Wistful Unicorn

I grew up in Central Presbyterian Church in downtown Atlanta. It sits directly across the street from the Georgia State Capital - the gold dome as it's known. Central has been there for over 150 years. Her history is rich as she survived the War Between the States. When Sherman marched on Atlanta, he used the Sunday School building as a slaughterhouse. 

Many of my fond memories from Central live in my heart. Finding my great aunt Bobbin after Sunday School and visiting with her friends - Florrie and Margret and Lillian to name a few. The it was upstairs for worship service where I usually sat with my grandparents until I "graduated" to the balcony with the other kids my age who wanted to socialize instead of pay attention. All the regulars sat in the same pews year after year. I can still show you who sat where. The Wilsons, the Schneiders, the Oglesbys, the Kohns. We always had (and they still do have) a fellowship lunch after service. Sometimes I got to choose who we sat with. Sometimes not.

One of my favorite people from Central didn't attend every Sunday. His name was Bill Drath. He was older and was always glad to see me. At least he acted like it. I still remember his hair and the lines in his face. 

He was special to me too because he was an illustrator. He and Ann Ashford (she also attended Central but not regularly) put a book together. I was on top of the world when I got my own autographed copy! I was somebody! 

Their book - truly a poem - If I Found A Wistful Unicorn - has been a special part of my life since.
 


Knowing what I know now about literature, I probably liked the book for the font and the pictures. What's really neat is there's a unicorn on every page - you just have to look. As good writing and imagery can do, this book transports you - for just awhile - to a magical place that is soothing and simple.

It takes a negative and asks for a pleasing outcome. 

"If I found a wistful unicorn and brought him to you, all forlorn... 
would you pet him?"

"If my soul were feeling all alone and wasn't near a telephone... 
would you write to it?"

"If my pet turnip turned on my and bit me fiercely on the knee... 
would you bandage it?"


I'm sure I had my grandfather read it to me hundreds of times. I've even given it as a gift and will again. Because even reading it now brings me peace. 

I appreciate the out-of-the-box thinking. I love they bring not so ordinary objects to mind. 

If someone told me much of my person were shaped by this book, I would agree. There's compassion and caring and companionship. There's strength in asking for what you want or need. There's a great simplicity that speaks to my soul.

What books have marked your soul as this one has mine? 

No comments:

Post a Comment