Monday, October 15, 2012

No Fake Flowers - Thank You

The question: Have you thought about your funeral? How do you want it to go? Happy or sad?

My answer: Of course!

I’ve lost most of my family so yes I’ve thought about this!

I want to be cremated. I’m cold natured and hate to be cold. I tell people it’s a good thing I don’t live any further north than I do. If I’m cremated, I’ll be warm for eternity. All I ask is don’t put me in a box – I’m claustrophobic. No fences for this chick!

I prefer my husband be cremated too and our ashes mixed together and the kids can do what they want with our ashes. No worries – I’ll leave a list of preferences. I certainly won’t care. If my husband were military, I’d be honored to lay with him wherever is appropriate. Just not in a box. Mix my ashes in the dirt where he lays.

As far as the tone – happy or sad – let it take it’s course. If people need to grieve, let them. If they’re happy I’m gone, let them be happy. No feeling is wrong.

I do want lots of color though. That’s how I lived – no fear of color. Just no white before Labor Day, please. If it’s near my birthday, wear purple. You're the best!

And no carnations please. For one, I grew up calling it the “funeral flower”. You know me – I don’t like stereotypes so let’s not perpetuate this one. Besides I really don’t like cut flowers – they just die. Perfect for the setting, but not for eternal life. Remember I like purple.

A church service feels right to me. God gave me to the world. He will greet me properly at the gates to welcome me back home.

I’d like everyone to gather for some sort of fellowship with food later. Talk about all the crazy stuff I did. Cry because you miss me. I don’t mind. I thank you for being there.

At one time, I wanted to be buried next to my mom if she saved me a seat. Just not in a box. Blend the ashes into the dirt where a casket goes. And if I do get to be next to Mom, NO FAKE FLOWERS! Mom hated them. If she could have found a cemetery that outlawed fake flowers, that’s where she’d be. That means no vase in my headstone. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment