Thursday, October 11, 2012

My most humiliating moment...


Most of my embarrassing moments revolve around my dear sweet mother. Bless her heart.

Mom loved the circus, especially the animals and trapeze artists.

When it came to Atlanta one year, she said she wanted my boyfriend - I'll call him Guy -  and me to take her to the circus as her present. Being the big sweet teddy bear he was, agreed and was somewhat enthusiastic about it. Little did either of us know...

The big day rolled around and we rode MARTA (public transportation system in Atlanta) to the venue since parking was a concern. 

I remember we sat left of where the performers - man and beast - came and went. I can still see the guy in stilts as he walked out of the tent. 

Sometime during the show, some clown came up the aisle selling glow necklaces and poppers and light up fiber optic flashlight things. I LOVED those glow necklaces. Guy bought me one of the necklaces and he got Mom the fiber optic thing. Please tell me you know what I'm talking about... 

I honestly can't remember Mom happier than she was with that stupid thing. She may not have even seen the rest of the show. I was pretty embarrassed by my 45+ year old mom making a huge deal over a toy meant for a two year old. 

Until I felt HUMILIATED by the same...

We got back on the MARTA train to get back to the car. It was late so the station and train were fairly empty. Thank you - there is a god! 

Guy and I sat together and Mom sat close by. The details are fuzzy now, but there were other people in the car. I know because Mom was attracting attention playing with her new toy. Ugh.

Kids, if you ever think your parents cannot be more embarrassing, think again!

Someone must have shown an ounce of interest or at least looked in her direction because she loudly said, "See my new light up wand my future son-in-law bought me at the circus?!?"

She waved it for them and even asked if they wanted to play with it. 

If I could have gotten all the way under the seat, I would have died there. I was mortified. Oh my gosh. I wanted off that train and away from her. Luckily Guy was a good sport about it all. Maybe he just couldn't move out of shock.

As the parent of a 14 year old, I recognize my duty to embarrass my child. It's in the handbook. And I do a pretty good job - just ask her. But I learned long ago there's a line to be drawn. Mom showed me right where it was that day. I'm careful not to cross it, though I do test it. I'm not nice. Like many parents, I enjoy embarrassing my daughter. It's fun. 

Guy, if you're reading this, I apologize as I laugh and shake my head at the memory. Thank you for making my mom so happy and then putting up with her. 

I'm proud my mom was who she was. I strive to be just like her. But I'm still hiding under that seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment