Monday, October 1, 2012

Think of a sentimental object you own. Describe where you held it for the first time.

Nibbles.

It was a brown wood sided restaurant in Georgia somewhere. I remember sitting in the car in their gravel parking lot, but have never eaten there. The sign was hand painted in white letters on a brown background. There were several steps and a front porch running the length of the building.

She’s also a stuffed bunny rabbit that sits upright. Named after the restaurant.

The Easter bunny brought her to me when I was 8 or so. We bonded. Yes, I bonded with a stuffed animal.

She was SO soft. She had 3 little flowers over her left ear – yellow, green and orange. She’s white with brown on the inside of her ears. Her big brown eyes are sweet and pull you right in. Her cottontail rattles. A little brown triangle is her nose. Precious.

One time I noticed she was dirty so I asked Mom if I could put her in the washer. Looking back, I cannot BELIEVE I did this. How could I drown her and put her through such a tumultuous event?!? I couldn’t wait for her to air dry so I put her in the dryer. That’s gut wrenching just to write.

I pulled her out of the dryer and sat on the kitchen floor and cried like a baby! Her ears had shrunk. Not a lot, but I noticed. I was devastated. Traumatized.

Over the years, she lost an eye. I didn’t want a button or anything else put there as a substitute. If she couldn’t have her own eye, she didn’t need one. I’m a purist like that. The barrier to keep her tail outside broke and her rattle could go inside her little body – not far, but enough to muffle the rattle a little.

Then there was the almost house fire. I’ll keep it short.

I had a bare bulb fixture I used as a lamp in my room. I was changing the sheets on my bed one day and threw my 13 blankets on top of the fixture. While it was on. Genius I was. Nibbles was in the mix. My favorite sleeping bag was ruined and some other blankets, but not all. I guess there was enough heat to start a fire but not enough oxygen to keep it going. A round patch of my lavender carpet was burned too. Nibbles only suffered a first degree burn on her back flank. No holes, just a slight fur burn. I’m sure I was upset but not nearly like I was when her ears shrank.

Nibbles and I were best friends. She was always there for me. No matter if I was scared or happy or crying or mad. Unconditional love. She got me through some pretty rough times. Fights with friends, having to take pre-Algebra twice, divorce, etc.

I rarely made up my bed but when I did Nibbles was always centered on the pillows. Especially in my adult years. My friends knew not to mess with Nibbles. I’d hurt them if she was harmed. That was her place in my life – front and center.

I was in the mall one day and saw a guy at a kiosk, but I don’t remember why he was there. I stopped to talk to him and learned he could clean the burn off Nibbles’s backside. I took her to him and would pick her up in a week or so. It was torture to be without her, but I did it. I told him how I shrunk her ears and still hadn’t forgiven myself.

Fur cancer. No one talks about it. It’s a terrible, debilitating disease. It brings depression with it. Bouts of crying, sadness, the hushed tones. You want to see it no matter how repulsive it may be.

That’s right. Where she was burned by fire, she now had a chemical burn – fur cancer. The fur was melted – all brown and hard little clumps. I remember walking through the mall holding her in utter disbelief. I wasn’t really functioning. My legs carried me under their own power. I slipped into a depression. My poor sweet baby Nibbles.

Nibbles retired to the guest room so it had some life in it. (Think Sally Field in bed in Forrest Gump.) She graced the guest bed and was there to snuggle with when I took my naps there.

A few years later I did what I had wanted to do with her for awhile. I had a shadowbox built for her. It’s black with a purple lining and holds her steady. She now has a place of reverence. She is protected. Away from fires and chemicals and puppies and the rest of the harmful, dangerous world she used to live in.

Recently I went through a rough time and needed my Nibbles. I almost took her out, but wanted to honor her new home. Her protected area. So I left her there. Her spirit comforted me. Knowing she would gladly come out of that box for me was enough. She is still there for me. That’s all I need.

My gratitude and love to Nibbles always.

No comments:

Post a Comment