Thursday, October 11, 2012

How I Lose All Track of Time


Getting in a “puppy pile” where the dogs clamber to closer to me. Be it trying to sit in my lap or lick my face or rub on me so I’ll rub them back. I smell like them and have mud on my clothes and slobber in my hair. It’s why they make soap, shampoo and laundry detergent. Sweet babies just want to love on their momma. The rest of the world can wait.

Reading a “I can’t put this down” book. A book that when your eyes want to close, every word makes them want to stay open. I enjoy reading anyway and when I do I don’t pay attention to the time. That’s why I read – to escape, to live in another world for a bit, to set the real world aside, to have some “me” time.

This may seem obvious but napping makes me lose track of time unless I have to set an alarm for some reason. My best naps are when I’ve worked hard, accomplished a lot and am at a point where I can relax. My mind and body willingly succumb to sleep. Sometimes it’s an hour an a half. Sometimes I’m down and out for 3 hours. Naps in the car rock! I know I have nothing else to do. The wind rushing by the care lulls me in to a solid sleep. Rarely do I care how long I nap.

Being alone in the quiet. Like at 4 AM when everyone is asleep. Or early Sunday morning before they get up. I breathe deeper here. I think more here. I totally forget the rest of the world exists. I feel peaceful. I recharge. I re-center myself. Even at work I tend to focus deeper and before I know it, the day is almost over.

Writing makes me forget about time. At least time isn’t important when I write. Writing is almost better than reading for me. Someone said “I think therefore I am”. I’ve tweaked that for me – “I think therefore I write therefore I am.” Writing clears my head.

Sometimes I get lost in my Sunday – my day to stay home; to be home. I do laundry and straighten up and nap and just do things around the house I neglected earlier in the week. The crazier the week before, the more I need my Sunday. It’s my way of re-ordering my chaotic world. 

What makes YOU lose track of time?

No comments:

Post a Comment