Monday, October 22, 2012

Meditating In the Mosh Pit


It's a book by Laurie Helgoe. I haven't read it. I am an introvert and am proud of it. I already know how to work the world for my own peace. But I live the concept.


One thing the description on Amazon.com - probably an excerpt from the book - says rings so true with me. "Quiet is might. Solitude is strength. Introversion is power."

Might being a power; a force; a vigor. To be a dork about it, my powers are restored through being an introvert.

Solitude IS strength. I knew this when my ex-husband was in Montana for 2 weeks for his grandmother's funeral. We thought it a good time to try a trial separation.

I absolutely thrived those 2 weeks. I was efficient. Self confident. On top of things. I had it together. I was alive. I realized living with him sucked the life - the independence - out of me. I spent time with my daughter and had me time too. I was happy; on top of the world. Yin and yang. Harmony.

 
MOSH PIT: Work


My last two jobs meant sharing open space with someone else with offices around us. Most of the time, it's ok. There's a lot of traffic buzzing by my desk. I've learned to adjust. I do enjoy catching up with the passerby's.


MEDITATING: Work

There are days I want my own office where I can shut the door, turn the lights off and work in peace. No noise, lower energy. Way back when, I had this and I had to make excuses when I did shut my door. I didn't care. It was what I needed. Sometimes I just tell whoever I'm working with I'm concentrating or I need quiet. I admit I'm not always nice about it. Going out at lunch is a way I get away from the office energies and recharge. It's not much but it helps!


MOSH PIT: Home

My home isn't really a mosh pit though it can be. I have a boy crazy, music loving teenage daughter and a husband who's brain will not turn off and who cannot stand to be cooped up at home more than a few hours.

My daughter reads me for the most part and acts accordingly. Most of the time. I'm careful not to quell her energy too much. She is who she is and needs that time and space and respect. She has some introvert traits so she unknowingly understands. I will step into her energized world to monitor what she is exposed to.

My husband on the other hand… He's an extrovert who's always thinking and wants to do or go. He thrives off being around people. He prefers to have the TV on most of the time. Ugh. We wouldn't even have a TV if it were up to me. Ours lurks in a dark corner and almost taunts me. He doesn't understand introversion at all. He does try to respect mine though. Typically Saturday is our day to go and to do - his play day.


MEDITATING: Home

Sundays are mine. I get to stay home and nap and clean the house and do laundry and whatever else. Sundays I put my house back in order - literally and figuratively. It's my day to recharge.


MOSH PIT: The Rest Of the World

The energy in a mall gives me a headache. I kid you not. The people, the noise, all the things to take in overwhelm me. People making normal noises - humming, sniffling, sighing, talking to themselves, crunching chips…

Noise is energy to me. Things like plastic rustling, shuffling paper, doors opening and closing, windshield wipers, a faucet running water, radio and TV all take me out of meditation and throw me in my mosh pits. Noises I make get on my OWN nerves!


MEDITATING: The Rest Of the World

Writing forces my world to slow down; to quieten down; to be still; to reduce the energy. It allows me to do what I need - to turn inside myself; to think. Again, I recharge in solitude.


So how do I "meditate in the mosh pit" in general? I stay out of it to a large extent. I turn the world off. I take a nap. I watch my child with her cat. I get in a puppy pile. I go to nature. I write. I carve out me time. I keep the radio and TV stay off. I get up at 4 AM. I do what I have to do for me. It's how I re-center my self.


No comments:

Post a Comment