Saturday, October 6, 2012

Photo Sessions



One of my favorite blogs had a link to another blog and that linked to a blog asking the question: why do so many of us not like to have our pictures taken?

I thought about this for a bit. And so it began…

That’s me hiding behind the tall people so you can’t see me for the crowd. BUT I’d rather be in the crowd than the only one in the picture. 

 

Except I don’t want to be compared to others or others compared to me. I am who I am! So what if I look better than the rest of them? Can’t you gawkers just accept that? That’s why I’m in the back so I don’t outshine anyone. HA HA!

How about having to be perfect or imperfect for eternity? I typically have a strained look on my face in pictures. At least people will be talking about me forever! They may not know my name, but they’re talking about me. Yeah, baby!

Posing is not real and I hate fake. Probably why my facial expressions look so forced. I like candid, relaxed pictures where people are just themselves. Even dogs in costumes have looks on their faces that say, “You really put this get-up on me? Really?”

This gets annoying for everyone - I’m a blinker. I do the wide eye just before the shot just to end up blinking. I try to blink before the shutter snaps. I tell the photographer I’m a pain in the neck. I think they just take the best of the worst of me and run with it. It’s either that or keep everyone in place for an extra 17 minutes.

The real reason I don’t like having my picture taken though is because whoever see that picture in 25 years that doesn’t know me won’t know me. Not ME. Not who I am. Not who I’m not. There’s more to me than just a face and a body. I have stories to tell, love to give, a strong spirit and stubborn will, tears of happiness and tears sorrow to shed, a soul that changes and grows. I have a shoulder for crying on.

Being a piece of history for eternity in a photograph just doesn’t appeal to me. Do I want my future generations to know what I looked like? I’d rather them know me for the wisdom I’ve passed down. Not their eye color. I’d rather them know they come from a long line of independent people who do danced to the beat of a different drum. Not the way their body is shaped.

I want to be remembered for who I am; for my spirit; for my personality not what I looked like. I want to be remembered for my fight and I am not afraid to stand up for myself. I want them to know I may pick on someone, but will fight to the death for them. I want them to know I may disagree with an idea or action, but I’ll support it regardless.

I want them to know I had a passion for animals in general - especially dogs. I want them to know I don’t think like most people. And that I am not afraid of color. I dare say my niece will remember me as “flamboyant” because I shy away from the neutral colors. I like contrast. My house currently has shades of purple, green and orange throughout. Did you just flinch? They’re all complimentary colors on the color wheel – thank you. My next house may very well be blue, pink and orange. 

So go ahead and take my picture, frame it and center it on your wall. When your friends and family wonder who that is with the funky look on her face, you can tell them about the real me. I thank you in advance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment