Monday, October 15, 2012

The NFL, Marine Corps, Coca-Cola and Biology


This may not come as a total surprise to everyone, but I wanted to be the first female to play in the NFL. Just because I could. I didn’t think it was fair it was all guys getting to play football. No one was going to stop me. I even got a football helmet for Christmas one year when I was about 10 or so. I was so excited I put it on and ran around in the back yard in my red velvet dress. 


I didn’t realize at the time there were female football teams. Even when I discovered that though, I didn’t change my goal. At that point. Now I’m mature enough to know about locker rooms and smells and how girls really don’t fit in an all-boys club. I also at some point understood what a challenge it would be and my chances of actually making it were slim to none. 


I also wanted to join the United State Marine Corps. Two people I looked up to who were part of this sharp, elite team. I didn’t care about the grueling boot camp or any of the rest of it. I heard horror stories about Parris Island. I just wanted to be a Marine. My mom told me she was on board with it, as long as I joined as an officer. I looked into Naval ROTC. I knew all the Corps ranks in order and could spout them off at a moment’s notice. I was ready – semper fi baby! Sign me up! As I’ve said over the years - I grew a brain and abandoned that dream. I don’t remember why. 
 
Then I decided I wanted to be a English-Spanish translator for Coca-Cola. Their headquarters were in Atlanta and I’d point out my office when we’d drive by the towering building. I saw myself at the Olympics and in Madrid and at press conferences. I’d travel all over but my base would be either Atlanta and / or Guatemala. I was on course for this having had 3 years of Spanish under my belt with 2 more to go and participating in the Spanish club. Then I took Anatomy & Physiology, Biology and Chemistry. Spanish who?!?

To say I loved those three classes is an understatement. We dissected a worm in Biology. I remember being somewhat disappointed there was so little to see in a worm. My A & P teacher told us about Gray’s Anatomy (the book) and we’d eventually maybe need to open it one day in the future. So I bought it. Fascinated. No I didn’t understand most of it, but it was still just amazing. I graduated high school and went into college as a Biology major. 

I loved dissecting whatever animal we did (I think it was a fetal pig). Wow. I worked in the Chem lab washing beakers and loved just feeling the atmosphere; the quiet, orderly energy of it all.

That dream died when I got a job and like so many before me, a paycheck was much more of a pull than going to class every day. Life on life terms as they say. Then I got married and moved. Se la vie. 

Would I change who I am or what I do today? Absolutely not. But in my next life… ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment